The super visa helps families reduce the separation time caused by lengthy processing times for permanent residence. The super visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The difference is that the super visa allows an individual to stay in for up to two years on initial entry into Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only allow for a period of six months.
criteria for a super visa
To apply for the parent and grandparent super visa, an applicant must:
- be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada,
- be allowed to enter Canada and
- meet certain other conditions.
Note: You cannot include dependents in this application.
Furthermore, an applicant must must be a real visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of your visit. An immigration officer will look at the following evidence when an applicant applies:
- ties to applicants home country;
- the purpose of applicants visit;
- applicants family and finances;
- the overall economic and political stability of applicants home country; and
- an invitation from a Canadian host.
Finally, a foreign national applicant must also provide the following:
- proof that applicant's child or grandchild in Canada meets a minimum income threshold;
- a written statement from that child or grandchild that he or she will provide financial support;
- proof of Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year; and
- evidence of an immigration medical exam.
Calculating family size for the low-income cut-off (LICO)
When applying for a parent and grandparent super visa, the child or grandchild in Canada must establish that he/she or they meet(s) a minimum income threshold called the low-income cut-off (LICO). The LICO is updated every year. When calculating the size of the family unit for purposes of establishing the LICO, include the following people when calculating family size:
- the child or grandchild inviting you;
- the spouse of the child or grandchild inviting you;
- the dependants of the child or grandchild inviting you;
- any dependants travelling with you;
- any other person whom the child or grandchild inviting you is currently sponsoring or co-signing for; and